1 (edited by GAG 2010-08-04 21:26:26)

Topic: Toad's Tool 64

For those who don't know, Toad's Tool 64 is the main SM64 hacking program.
With it, you can edit textures and levels, and even Mario's size.
TT64 discussion goes here, and questions will be treated.  cool

Download Link For Toad's Tool 64 and ROM Extender:
http://homepage.mac.com/qubedstudios/Mario64Tools.htm

I will put frequently asked questions here:

1. When I try to open a rom with Toad's Tool 64, it says: "Not a valid ROM.
Please open a ROM that has been extended with the latest version of the Mario 64 ROM extender (currently 1.2b)"
Answer:
Get the ROM extender, which is available on the same site as TT64. Then extend your ROM, and open the extended ROM with TT64.

2. How do I copy and paste/add more objects?
Answer:
(insert answer here)

I will add some more once I get more questions.

I am having some problems, myself, though. hmm When I zoom close to an object, the computer freezes and soon the screen is filled with stripes in different colours. Does anybody know how to fix this; is it just Windows Vista that screws it up? yikes
Happened to anyone else?  hmm

BLAARGH

Re: Toad's Tool 64

How long does it freeze on you?

How long does it freeze on you?

Forever, until I turn off the computer by holding the power button. It crashes completely. sad

BLAARGH

Glad to hear you made a topic for TT64. You have Win Vista, aren't you? It's always work in each OS.
You must download a rom of SM64, USA only with ver.1.2 so it can't apply immediately.
After downloaded it, open the M64 extender then choose the USA version of SM64, if it's already, you don't need this.

GAG, how many times you restart your TT64 to work correctly without bugs?

I know it's not vista giving you problems.  How much ram/memory do you currently have installed?

GAG, how many times you restart your TT64 to work correctly without bugs?

It doesn't stop bugging even if I restart it, but remember, this happens only when I zoom into an object.

How much ram/memory do you currently have installed?

I think 1GB, but I am pretty sure that doesn't have anything with this to do.

BLAARGH

I recommend at least 2GB's of Ram.  That could be the reason why it freezes up on you.  The only other things I could think of is try re-downloading toad's tool 64 and make sure the rom is the standard abc byte ordering.

Thank you, dopeboy.
Does anyone know how to add more objects?
Would be good to know.

BLAARGH

1. You can add many objects as you many but avoid to add too musch, it'll be buggy.
2. You can use some objects from basic and expert (options above rom adress), Expert mode is to change objects as
"undefined combos" and behaviors, for example: having an un-spinning star, go to the Model ID list, then choose "Star".
Test it and voila!

Another thing, you can edit textures + change Mario's dress-up colors and its size. Try it using Paint! wink  big_smile

Crashman64 wrote:

Another thing, you can edit textures + change Mario's dress-up colors and its size. Try it using Paint! wink  big_smile

I'm pretty sure he already know about that...

GAG wrote:

I am having some problems, myself, though. hmm When I zoom close to an object, the computer freezes and soon the screen is filled with stripes in different colours. Does anybody know how to fix this; is it just Windows Vista that screws it up? yikes
Happened to anyone else?  hmm

Did you tried changing the renderer?

Sonicpacker : I'm going to import Conor's crotch into Toad's Tool
SilentSlayers : I don't think there's enough memory...

Thumbs up

Did you try changing the crappy OS?

Thumbs up

I highly concur with Kyman...

Sonicpacker : I'm going to import Conor's crotch into Toad's Tool
SilentSlayers : I don't think there's enough memory...

Thumbs up

Does anyone know if you can replace the door outside the castle that leads into the lobby with a locked door and hide the key in an enemy outside the castle?

Thumbs up

griffinnd wrote:

Does anyone know if you can replace the door outside the castle that leads into the lobby with a locked door and hide the key in an enemy outside the castle?

Yes you can replace the door outside the castle with locked doors.  The key part, I don't think it's possible as of yet.

¨Okay, i Don't know if you guy's have seen these screenies allready BUT better late then never right?  big_smile (even if you don't play along, do it anyway ugh)

Here is a screenshot of the Level Importer:
VL-Tone Says: Now here's some progress update:
http://homepage.mac.com/qubedstudios/TT64preview1019.jpg
Here you can save the level and stuff:
VL-Tone Says: This is the latest version of the importer interface.

When you click "Save level to ROM" you'll be presented with this dialog box:
http://homepage.mac.com/qubedstudios/TT64preview1019b.png
Before saving you'll have to choose in which level slot you want to save it, and which level in the game it will replace.

The "Manage Level Slots" button will present you with a similar interface, but will be used to change the replacing levels for levels already saved in slots.

The "Empty Objects Only" option will save your level with empty 0x24 objects. The number of objects can be set.

The "Keep existing objects" will keep the objects found in the slot you're saving to.

And lastly, the "Use Objects From File" will use the objects found in the current level file (the number of objects found in the file is in parenthesis).

By default, objects won't be saved in the level file. Automatic saving of the objects in the file had too many potential problems. While it's obvious that when you just saved a level in slot 2, that you want objects from slot 2 to be copied in the level file, if you open another ROM where there's another level in slot 2, TT64 would save the wrong objects. That's why you can only save objects in the level file when you check the option ("When Saving Level File Also Copy Objects") which btw has the checkbox missing in the screenshot. And when you do use this option, you'll be presented with a dialog where you choose/confirm which slots you want to copy the objects from.

It sounds a little complicated, but keep in mind that the only time you'll want the objects copied in the level file is when you want to move a custom level from one ROM to another (or from one slot to another), with its objects intact. You don't need a constantly updated copy of the objects in the level file for this purpose, and you can always go back to copy the objects even if you forget to check the option, because those are saved in the ROM when you edit them in the main level editor module.

Normally, what you'll want to use is the "Keep Existing Objects" option, so if you change your .obj file and reimport the level, the objects that were already in the level slot will remain.

Note: I just realized that the "Polys:" count in the screenshot is wrong, it should read 3136 polys (triangles) for this level.

Here is the new scrolling design:
VL-Tone says: Here's some little progress update though.

Nothing much, but it will get me going on finishing the rest. As I explained in a previous post, Director 11.5 has some pretty buggy built-in scrolling text fields. I had problems with the coloring and underlining of specific lines, as well as other glitches, like text lines being chopped off.

I had to create my own custom scrolling field widget anyway for the material/texture list in the importer which features little preview icons, so I decided to create a more universal scrolling list/menu field from scratch so I could replace the buggy lists in the main level editor interface.

So here's the result:
http://homepage.mac.com/qubedstudios/TT64scroll.png
I've programmed the whole scrollbar/list mechanism myself, which gives me much more control and helps me get around bugs and limitations of the built-in text fields. Unlike the built-in scrolling fields, mine have proportional scrollbars and live scrolling. Also, as you can see I can have "real" highlighting instead of having to use underlined text like I did before. The actual scrollbar graphics are a little ugly, but that can be easily changed.

I'll try to work on TT64 more in the next few days. Someone just donated $1 today, which is not "a lot", but it means a lot to me., symbolically. (Just so you know, I don't do this for money but I really don't get donations often, I actually only got three donations in 4 years so this one was a nice surprise.)

Well, now there is FINALLY a sky swapper... NO need to hack and using thos irretating (almost matrix) numbers I see all the time. LOL:
VL-Tone says: Anyway back to TT64. Not much progress since the last time, but here are some screenshots, as promised:
http://homepage.mac.com/qubedstudios/TT64Preview3.jpg
That's the "Sky Swapper" module, which you may have seen before, but I added more thumbnail space to accommodate custom sky backgrounds that will be used by the level importer.

Some new features: (VL-Tone says: This is the new main interface for the level editor, now in "Widescreen". I integrated the new copy/paste/duplcate and align buttons.

I must admit that I find the interface to be overcrowded now. It can be intimidating for novices. I guess I could remove a lot of the interface (including the newly added buttons) and hide everything in standard menus. It's nice though to have everything only one click away.

I don't think about doing any major interface changes to make it simpler and less crowded for version 0.6b, but I'm thinking about it maybe for 0.7b. I would certainly would like to avoid another review like the one from Destructoid when TT64 was first released, with this nice screenshot caption:
)
http://homepage.mac.com/qubedstudios/TT64Preview4.jpg

VL-Tone Says: Anyway back to the new module menu:
http://homepage.mac.com/qubedstudios/TT64Preview5.png
From left to right: Level Editor, Preferences, Texture Editor, Sky Swapper, Level Importer, Text Wrangler. These Icons are not final, if you have suggestions for icons, go ahead.

When you click on the icon on the top left of a module, little icons slide from under it and enable you to switch to any other module. When you click on one, the icons slide back under, with the one you choose sliding on top, which becomes the icon for the current module. It's a neat but somehow useless animation.

Okay I hope this was unexplored info  neutral

Thumbs up

That is the most awesome info we have. I can't wait to get the new version, hope it comes out if I could make my beta Mario's Journey into a full version.

Crashman64 wrote:

That is the most awesome info we have. I can't wait to get the new version, hope it comes out if I could make my beta Mario's Journey into a full version.

You shuld just use fraubers level importer right now tho sad

Thumbs up

I don't like/can't make levels using Google SketchUp and Blender 3D.

Crashman64 wrote:

I don't like/can't make levels using Google SketchUp and Blender 3D.

That's a pity for you... cuz the level importer in tt64 is a LEVEL IMPORTER... it imports a .obj wavefront file that you have to create in google sketchup or bender or any other modeling software (as long as it supports triangulating and .obj exporting). It is NOT a level designer. But there is some features I have seen.

Thumbs up

Another thing, you can edit textures + change Mario's dress-up colors and its size. Try it using Paint!

I made toad's face angry, lol, It looked so crazy big_smile

BLAARGH

How can i add objects to my own SM64 levels like my house hack? I tried to add some with TT64 0.5994b, but they aren't there. Teleports works olny. sad

23 (edited by Devin 2010-09-29 01:37:53)

Tomatobird wrote:

How can i add objects to my own SM64 levels like my house hack? I tried to add some with TT64 0.5994b, but they aren't there. Teleports works olny. sad

Make sure you set the https://sites.google.com/site/dopeboy175site/pictures/act%20selector.JPG  to six for each object you want to add.

Crud, its been 4 years we've been waiting the new, freshed and more featured Toad's Tool 0.6.
I wonder Starrxon had to put into it, also Miyamoto-sama will be mad if we hacked his old N64 game...

25 (edited by indestructible 2010-10-28 16:33:28)

Crash wrote:

Crud, its been 4 years we've been waiting the new, freshed and more featured Toad's Tool 0.6.
I wonder Starrxon had to put into it, also Miyamoto-sama will be mad if we hacked his old N64 game...

Starrxon AKA VL-Tone said that it will be released somehow between 2011 January-May.... but he didn't promise anything he also said  sad

Thumbs up

Can everyone tell me how to import the level into Toad's Tool?
It's, why, I was testing a level without objects.

Crash wrote:

Can everyone tell me how to import the level into Toad's Tool?
It's, why, I was testing a level without objects.

You have to import the ROM with the hack on it

^dont take my post's seriously, atleast not all of them.
www.youtube.com/user/EmilSM64 Youtube channel
                          EmilSM64@hotmail.com MSN
I'm not just sure, i'm HIV positive -Eric cartman

Devin wrote:
Tomatobird wrote:

Make sure you set the https://sites.google.com/site/dopeboy175site/pictures/act%20selector.JPG  to six for each object you want to add.

Is there like a easy way to do that ? i must use 10 minutes on like every object i put in .. :-/

^dont take my post's seriously, atleast not all of them.
www.youtube.com/user/EmilSM64 Youtube channel
                          EmilSM64@hotmail.com MSN
I'm not just sure, i'm HIV positive -Eric cartman

Emil wrote:

You have to import the ROM with the hack on it

Emil wrote:

Is there like a easy way to do that ? i must use 10 minutes on like every object i put in .. :-/

Try to avoid double posting by using the edit button instead. Thanks smile

Conor says (12:05 PM):
Location ---> BitFS (Cage)
People -----> SS & SP
Kinky objects ---> Icecubes and a ferret
Fantasies ---> Wet hair.

Emil wrote:

Is there like a easy way to do that ?

Not to my knowledge.  sad

Is Mario's shadow a texture? If so what's the texture number?

Thumbs up